New Car Warranties
At Toyota, our top priority is always our customers .We know your Toyota vehicle is an important part of your life and something you depend on every day. Our goal is for every Toyota customer to enjoy outstanding quality, dependability and peace of mind throughout your ownership experience. For those reasons, we are dedicated to providing you with products and experiences of the highest calibre.
The comprehensive warranty coverage provided by Toyota is evidence that we stand behind the quality of our vehicles. This booklet describes the terms of Toyota warranty coverage, roadside assistance, general owner responsibilities, as well as certain safety precautions. We suggest you keep this booklet in your glovebox for easy reference.
Toyota Dealers have the best resources for ensuring your continued enjoyment of your vehicle. They are committed to providing you with excellent service at competitive rates. Toyota trained technicians using Toyota Genuine Parts, Toyota Special Service Tools and approved technical instructions will provide you with the level of service quality that you deserve.
To provide you with additional protection against unexpected repair costs, we offer our range of Toyota Extra Care Protection (ECP) plans . This booklet will introduce you to the advantages of ECP and your dealership can help you select the best plan for you.
We wish you many kilometres of safe and pleasurable driving, and we look forward to serving you in the years ahead. Welcome to the Toyota family!
For Updated Information About Your Vehicle
Toyota wishes to ensure your continued satisfaction and may need to contact you regarding special warranty enhancement programs to assist with servicing beyond the normal warranty policy . When we establish these programs, we mail details to all applicable owners on record . Should your address change, or if you’ve purchased this vehicle from a previous owner, then please update your information by one of the following methods:
- Go online to www.toyota.ca/changeinfo, or
- Call 1-888-TOYOTA-8 | 1-888-869-6828
Toyota will treat the information you provide as confidential
Toyota New Vehicle Warranty
Some things you should know about your warranty
Who is the warrantor?
The Warrantor for these limited warranties is Toyota Canada Inc ., (“TOYOTA”), 1 Toyota Place, Scarborough, ON, M1H 1H9
When does the warranty begin?
The warranty period begins on the warranty registration date as shown on the new vehicle information statement on the inside cover of this booklet . The warranty registration date is the original in-service date and may be earlier than the date of sale.
Which Vehicle Are Covered?
These warranties apply to all 2018 model-year Toyota vehicles distributed by Toyota, which are originally sold by an authorized dealer in Canada and normally operated or touring in Canada, United States or U .S . territories.
Repairs made at no charge
Repairs and adjustment covered by these warranties are made at no charge for parts and labour. Components will be repaired or replaced with new or remanufactured parts at the option of Toyota. Replaced components are warranted for the balance of the applicable New Vehicle Warranty.
What if my vehicle must be towed?
When your vehicle is inoperative due to a warranted part failure, towing service is covered to the nearest Toyota Dealer. Should you require towing, contact the Toyota Roadside Assistance Centre at 1-888-TOYOTA-8. An authorized service provided will be dispatched to provide you with the necessary Roadside Assistance. Refer to the Roadside Assistance information on pages 27-31 for more details.
It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is maintained and operated in accordance with the written instructions for proper maintenance and use contained in your Owner’s Manual and this Owner’s Manual Supplement.
Note: Please see your dealer for a customized copy of the maintenance menu, specific to your vehicle and tailored to your driving habits.
In an emergency situation, where an authorized Toyota Dealer is not reasonably available, you may perform the repair or have the repair performed at any service establishment or by a person of your choosing. You will then be required to present the replaced parts and paid repair invoices to an authorized Toyota Dealer for reimbursement of the emergency repair cost. You will be reimbursed for warranted parts at the maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price and warranted labour at a geographically appropriate hourly rate multiplied by Toyota’s recommended time allowance for the repair.
Maintenance records and receipts should be transferred to each subsequent owner.
Basic Complete Vehicle Warranty
Your Toyota vehicle carries an extensive 36 month/60,000 kilometre warranty:
The basic complete vehicle warranty covers repairs on any part of the vehicle supplied by Toyota Canada Inc. that is defective in material or workmanship, subject to the exceptions indicated under “What Is Not Covered” on pages 10 & 11.
Coverage is for a period of 36 months or 60,000 km, whichever comes first, with the exception of wheel alignment, balancing and related adjustments, which are covered for 12 months or 20,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
Paint Defect Warranty
Paint defects are warranted for 36 months from the warranty registration date, or 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first . Any body surface, which develops a blemish under normal use due to defective materials/ workmanship, is warrantable with the exception of the items listed under “What is Not Covered” as follows:
What is not covered:
- Paint chips
- Blemishes caused by stones or gravel
- Accident or other forms of impact
- Industrial fallout or pollution
- Bird droppings
- Previous repairs or modifications to the same body panel
- Normal paint aging conditions, fading etc.
Safety Restraint Systems Warranty
This warranty covers repairs needed on any seatbelt or air bag system supplied by Toyota that is defective in material or workmanship, subject to the exceptions indicated under “What Is Not Covered” on pages 10 & 11. Coverage is for a period of 60 months or 100,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
Corrosion Perforation Warranty
This warranty covers repair of any original body sheet metal found, under normal use, to have developed a perforation (hole through the body panel) from corrosion due to defects in material or workmanship, subject to the exceptions indicated under “What Is Not Covered” on pages 10 & 11.
Coverage is for a period of 60 months regardless of distance travelled.
Emission Control Warranty
Emission Defect Warranty
Toyota warrants to owners of 2018 model year vehicles that the Toyota vehicle:
- Was designed, built and equipped so as to conform, at the time of sale, with all applicable emission standards.
- Is, at the time the warranty commences, free from defects in materials and workmanship, which may cause the vehicle to fail to conform with the applicable emission standards during the warranty period.
Toyota will provide you with coverage for the emission control parts listed under Item 1 on page 8 for 36 months or 60,000 kilometres, whichever comes first, under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty. In addition, specific components may be entitled to additional coverage under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty-Powertrain Component Coverage. Emission Standards also require that the specified major emission control components listed under Item 2 on page 9 are covered for 96 months or 130,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
Emission Performance Warranty
Some Provincial and Local jurisdictions may have established periodic vehicle inspection and maintenance (I/M) programs to encourage proper maintenance of your vehicle. If an approved I/M program is in force in your area, you are eligible for emission performance warranty coverage.
If the vehicle fails to conform to the applicable emission standards during the warranty period and such failure results or will result in you having to bear any penalty or other sanctions under local, provincial or federal law, Toyota will make all adjustments, repairs or replacements that are necessary to ensure that the vehicle conforms to the applicable standard at no cost to you if:
- The vehicle has been maintained and operated in compliance with the instructions for proper maintenance and use contained in your Owner’s Manual.
- The vehicle has not been misused or tampered with in a manner which caused the vehicle to fail to comply with the applicable emission standard.
- Fuel other than that specified in the Owner’s Manual has not been used.
Toyota will provide you with this coverage for 24 months from the warranty registration date or 40,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
In addition, the specified major emission control components listed under Item 2 on page 9 will be covered for 96 months or 130,000 kilometres, whichever comes first.
Statement of Emmision Performance Warranty Entitlement
A claim under this warranty will only be available if the vehicle fails an emission short test used by a provincial emission inspection/maintenance program, which has been approved by Toyota. Usually this means that an owner could be subject to a penalty under provincial law because of such failure. At the date of printing this warranty, some provinces did not have vehicle inspection/maintenance programs and had not enacted laws subjecting vehicle Owners to such penalties. Therefore, in some provinces or local areas, this warranty will not apply.
Emission Warranty Parts List:
- Emission components covered against defect for 36 months 60,000 km or 24 months 40,000 km for performance:
Air/Fuel Metering System
- EFI Components
- Air/Fuel Ratio Feedback Control System
Air Induction System
- Intake Surge Tank
- Ignition Coil and Igniter
- Spark Plugs
Positive Crankcase Ventilation System (PCV)
- PCV Valve or PCV Orifice
- Oil Filler Cap
Evaporative Control System
- Charcoal Canister
- Fuel Tank
- Fuel Filler Cap
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
- EGR Valve
- EGR Gas Temperature Sensor
- Associated Parts
Hybrid Vehicle System
- Battery Cooling Fan
- Battery Air Duct
- System Main Relay & Battery Current Sensor
- HV Battery Thermistor
- Exhaust Manifold
- Exhaust Pipe (Manifold to Catalyst and/or Catalyst to Catalyst)
Miscellaneous Items Used in Above Systems
- Sensors, Switches and Valves
- Hoses, Clamps, Fittings, Tubing, Sealing Gaskets or Devices and Mounting Hardware, Pulleys, Belts and Idlers
2. Specified Major Emission Control Components covered for 96 months 130,000 km:
- Engine Control Module
- Catalytic Converter and Protector
- Data Link Connector
- Bulbs for Malfunctioning Indicator Lamp
(Check Engine Warning Light)
Facts About the Emission Defect and Performance Warranty
The emission control systems of your vehicle were designed, built, and tested using Toyota Genuine Parts. Your vehicle is certified as conforming to applicable emission control standards. It is recommended that Toyota Genuine Parts be used as replacement parts.
The use of non-Toyota parts and the performance of any maintenance or repair by a non-Toyota Dealer will not affect your emission defect or performance warranty coverage unless the replacement parts that are used are not of equivalent quality or capacity, or the repairs are not performed at the standard required and the effectiveness of the emission control systems is impaired.
If Your Vehicle Fails an Emission Test:
A claim may be submitted immediately upon the failure of the vehicle to conform to the applicable standards by following these steps:
- Take the vehicle to any authorized Toyota Dealer and present a copy of the emission short test report as evidence of failure . Also, take your maintenance records in case they are needed.
- The Toyota Dealer will inspect your vehicle and determine the warranty applicability within a reasonable period of time (not to exceed 30 days) from your initial vehicle delivery date to any authorized Toyota Dealer or within the time period required by local or provincial law.
- If, for any reason, the claim is denied, an explanation will be presented to you.
- If Toyota fails to notify you of its decision within the time period specified, then Toyota shall be responsible for repairing the vehicle free of charge unless the delay is attributable to the Owner or factors beyond the control of Toyota or the Toyota Dealer. Dealer then you may contact:
Customer Interaction Centre
What is not covered
Non-Warrantable Parts and Materials:
The following parts shall not be covered by the warranty when they are replaced as a maintenance service ordinarily required with the vehicle use:
- Bulbs (excluding Sealed Beam, Halogen Bulbs, High Intensity Discharge- HID, Light Emitting Diode-LED)
- Spark Plugs (excluding Platinum, Iridium)
- Drive Belts (except Timing Belts)
- Air Cleaner Filter Element, Oil Filter, Fuel Filter, Air Conditioner Filter, Air Filter and Fuel Pump Filter
- Brake Linings, Brake Shoe and Brake Pads
- Wiper Blades and/or Rubbers
- Room Lamp and Transmitter Battery
- Electrolyte, Air Conditioning Refrigerant, Fuel, Fluids, Oil, Grease, Lubricants and Additives
Factors Beyond the Manufacturer's Control
This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following:
- Fire, accident or theft
- Abuse or negligence
- Misuse – for example, racing & competitive events, off-roading or overloading
- Improper adjustments or repairs
- Modification, alteration or tampering, disconnection, including installation of non-Toyota Accessories
- Repairs and adjustments caused by improper maintenance, lack of required maintenance and/or the use of fluids, fuel, oil or lubricants other than those recommended in your Owner’s Manual
- Installation of non-Toyota Parts
- Airborne chemicals, bird droppings, tree sap, road debris (including stone chips), salt, hail, floods, windstorms, lightning and other environmental conditions
- Water contamination
- Dirty fuel or fuel other than that specified in the Owner’s Manual
- The continued use of the vehicle once a problem has been detected (e.g. illumination of Malfunction Indicator Light [M.I.L.], excessive vibration, poor performance, etc.) resulting in consequential damage beyond the covered component
- The replacement of simultaneous parts (e.g. front/rear, left/right) where no defect is found. (e.g. cannot replace two shock absorbers, where only one is found to have a defect)
- Repairs conducted on vehicles designated at any time as salvaged, scrapped, junked, totalled or written-off
This warranty also does not cover the following:
Normal Sound, Vibration and Deterioration
Conditions related to normal noise, wear, vibration, deterioration, discolouration, distortion, deformation and fading.
Normal maintenance services such as: engine tune-ups, lubrication, cleaning and polishing, replacement of coolant, filters, spark plugs, fuses, remote key/key fob batteries, worn wiper blades, brake pads/linings and clutch linings.
Vehicles With Altered Odometer Reading
Failure of a vehicle on which the odometer has been altered or changed so that the actual kilometres driven cannot be determined.
Salvage or Written-off Vehicles
The new vehicle warranty no longer applies on any Toyota vehicle which is designated at any time as salvaged, scrapped, junked, totalled or written off.
Incidental or consequential damages associated with a vehicle failure. Such damages include but are not limited to inconvenience, the cost of transportation (unless expressly provided in this warranty), telephone calls and lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, and the loss of pay or revenue.
Any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose applicable to this vehicle, where permitted by law, is limited in duration to the duration of this written warranty. The performance of repairs and needed adjustments is the exclusive remedy under this written warranty or any implied warranty. Toyota shall not be liable for incidental or consequential damages by reasons of this written warranty or any implied warranty.
The provision of the above written warranties is in addition to any statutory warranties or other rights or remedies as may otherwise exist at law.
Toyota does not authorize any person or corporation to assume for it any obligation or liability or make any representation in respect of the Toyota New Vehicle Warranty.